Like humans, dogs too suffer from bad breath or Halitosis. An inspection of the dog’s mouth will let you know if your dog is suffering from it. There might be many reasons for bad breath like unbalanced diet, gum or teeth infection, or some disease like diabetes, gastrointestinal problems, et al. You might try the following home remedies before you approach your vet –
- Herbs – Leaves of Margosa leaves and Coriander can be used in the dog’s toothpaste or mouthwash because these are nature’s cure against the problem of bad breath. You can also make your dog chew on Dill leaves or peppermint leaves.
- Parsley – You can make some parsley tea by boiling some parsley stalks in hot water. Then drain the stalks and let the tea cool a bit. You can either make your dog drink it or use it as a mouthwash for your dog.
- Carrot – Bad Breath is also caused by plaque on teeth. For this, you can feed
your dog carrots that will help remove plaque because of its abrasive quality. Also, it will produce a lot of saliva that will dispense any food particles stuck between the teeth or in the mouth. Carrots are pretty rich in vitamins, which is an added bonus.
- Lemon – This is a very simple, yet effective remedy against bad breath. Simply squeeze a lemon in your dog’s drinking water. Lemon will cleanse his mouth and freshen up his palette.
- Breath Mint – There are many breath mints available for bad breath on dogs. Most of these mints have natural flavors that are beneficial for dental health. There is a good chance that your favorite pet dog supplies store will have it.
- Water – Water is pretty effective against bad breath in dogs. The bacteria causing bad breath are mostly anaerobic and drinking lots of water keeps them away by keeping the mouth moist.
- Diet – Add loads of digestive enzymes and Probiotics to your dog’s diet. Bad breath is sometimes caused due to intestinal issues and probiotics help in promoting good digestion and counteracting such issues.
There are many more things that you can do to keep your dog’s breath fresh. You must take care on the kind of dog food you buy. It must be of the best quality. There are many treats in the market that promote dental health in dogs and help in keeping them healthy. These are not only tasty but are also beneficial. If none of these remedies work, you must go to your vet at once because it might be due to some major cause.